Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Fiedler "In the House"

I found that Conrad Fiedler made a few assumptions worth looking at. as a lawyer and philosopher his work has weight to it. The first of statements "It is a rare privilege of highly organized, sensitive persons that they can achieve immediate contact with nature", brings up an interesting point, primarily, "Highly organized ". Would it mean if a person was not organized that they would not indulge into the privilege. I contend many great artists were in fact highly un-organized. Its possible the meaning of gestalt may have a play in this.

Another point of interest is the fact that Fiedler points to the fact that the creative process is based upon the process and not the final result. This makes alot of sense to me. Particularly in today's art world. From the onset professors instill the works of well known artists to students in the academia setting. But i believe through hard work, and careful sensibilities an art student can break the mold of "Cliche". To compound this notion, artists can be lured into the same redundant artwork over and over again. This certainly is dependent on the length of the project, and should be judged on a case by case basis.

His note about predetermined perception also caught my eye. It may be a habitual process of society to judge, moreover, project a final stamp of approval on things. For me if I view an artwork for the first and my senses determine it is not appealing, this is when I dig deeper into my reasons of disapproval. In some cases my thoughts about a person, artwork, object, etc.. can be overturned.

It is interesting to note that Matisse was used as an example of Fiedler's mindset. Matisse has always inspired me because of his ability to create simplistic artworks that somehow fill in the blanks as I view his work. Although after reading the article I was sure it would have been an artist creating photo realistic paintings with great technique, such as the painters of the northern Baroque.

No comments:

Post a Comment