Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Reflecting on Freud and "Interpretation of Dreams"

I myself have very lucid and wild dreams. These especially occur if I have woken up for the day and take an hour or longer nap at some point in the day. It's as if my mind has been woken up and is on cruise control, and when I am asleep I am not able to monitor my thoughts and thus my dreams run wild. On rare occasion, I will wake up in a bad mood from a series of weird dreams that leave me sweating and groggy.

On occasion when I experience the sensation of deja vu, I often wonder if this is something I already envisioned in a dream. Perhaps a plan has been laid out for us and we are just following that manual, is a thought that has crossed my mind. Or perhaps, those moments are pieces of life that we are meant to be involved in, and are reminders to the self that we are right where we are supposed to be.

I tend not to give too much thoughts to my dreams. I know some people are very superstitious about their dreams. I tend to think that the mind wanders and we cannot always control our thoughts, when we have weird dreams or thoughts my goal is to let them roll off my shoulders like water and fade away.

I tend to notice a correlation between my previous day's events and the content of my dreams. However, some dreams are completely random and unexpected. I believe some of the unexpected dreams come from past issues which affect us or we have thought about a lot previously. The thoughts and memories are logged somewhere in our conscious and float up to the surface occasionally.

Perhaps I should pay more attention to my dreams and write down the subject matter and my thoughts on what they could mean. I know one thing is for sure; when you are woken up during a great dream and a crucial moment, it sure is disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment