Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Paul Frankl

For me Frankl brings up some interesting points. Early in the article Frankl points out that "Within every space something that appeals to emotion and something else appears to reason". He is concerned with space and not the furnishing nor decorations inside. It reminds me of of emotions I have when entering an old abandoned building. Not knowing what it was used for my mind attempts to create the space as it was in its prime. Although I have some details of layout, and clues of what has been, i have with me a sense of angst and emotion. I guess we can simplify by saying , " If these walls could talk".

Frankl has also made me ponder pure form and line as I think about architecture. I may ask myself, are there converging lines, these can enact a triangular shape that can penetrate the cortex. Is the space large that can invoke a gathering? I then can ponder what type of gathering. According to Frankl ," The bridge between art and life remain undiscovered". To further this notion the bridge between architecture and fine art may be have gaps as well, but this doesn't need be. Both are filled with narrative, form, and contemplation. The mind views form at any location.

Culture and architecture. When Medieval churches are viewed the stigma that is recanted from this era carries weight, additionally the outside contours mesh with the inside design. When viewing some of these old churches the spires that rise high in the sky emulate a gesture to god himself, " Listen to me". The pointed spires affirm the need for weaponry back in these olden times and resemble the Lance a soldier might carry on his horse : pointed and ready to penetrate. In my mind what makes gothic churches unique is the fact that the inside complements the outside. High ceilings converge creating ribs with many facets. Its almost as if they created the skeleton of a human metaphorically.As one traveled down the long Nave it would seems as if they were traveling down the throat of god himself. In this era of architecture combined with the culture I can see how the the term, "Fear the Maker", had been proclaimed.

No comments:

Post a Comment